Tuesday 2 December 2014

To Textbook, or not to Textbook - GEMP I & II

Textbooks are awesome. But they're also ridiculously expensive! So I thought I'd give you some advice as to which textbooks were very useful to me, and which of those on the booklist I didn't think I required.

Going into GEMP I and II there are really few textbooks you'll need. The one you absolutely have to have is Clinical examination: A systematic guide to physical diagnosis by NJ Talley & S O’Connor (or as everyone calls it - Talley's). This is what you will be examined on in your GEMP III Internal Medicine rotation, so it's a great buy. For the Graduates who didn't do Anatomy I would advise you to get Clinically oriented anatomy by KL Moore & AF Dalley (Clin Anat). It's very useful, but also readily accessible at the library. If you haven't done Physiology, don't stress. The lectures are sufficient.

Porth's pathophysiology: Concepts of altered health states by C Porth & S Grossman (or Porth for short) is very useful. I used it a lot and it really does help. But again, it's accessible from the library and the notes are great that lecturers give.

For Anatomical Pathology Dr King will advise that you get General pathology: Illustrated lecture notes, AKA "Rippey". I thought Rippey was fantastic, but not a requirement. It's pretty much exactly what you will be taught in the Path lectures, just laid out nicely. For people who have brains that require order and structure and not your own scribbled writing (like mine), get the book; otherwise, you'll be sorted!

Now let me chat about the other textbooks on the list.

Anatomical pathology : Robbins and Cotran pathologic basis of disease, and General and systematic pathology - I have both, never really used them at all. I wouldn't suggest it. The lectures are sufficient. If you need to see what caseating necrosis looks like, just Google it (not before, during or at least two hours after eating cheese, you'll thank me for that!).

Anatomy: I've mentioned Clin Anat. It's far better than Gray's for students, in my opinion.
Histology: a text and atlas - Nope, you really don't need it.
Fundamentals of human embryology by J Allan & B Kramer - This is quite a nice book, but Prof Kramer teaches word for word what is in this book. As can be expected, she wrote it! If you find that you struggle to follow her lectures (she goes through it very quickly), get this book; but I'm more than certain you will be fine without it. Check the library first, too, and make copies of the important sections.

Chemical Pathology: Clinical chemistry by WJ Marshall & SK Bangert - They say it's great for your Renal block. It isn't. It it, however, very useful for your first block in GEMP II, Endocrine. I used it a lot.

Community Medicine: Epidemiology: a manual for South Africa - Just... no. Don't waste your money!

Family Medicine: Handbook of Family Medicine by R Mash - You don't even need this book in your Family Medicine block in GEMP III. I wouldn't advise it.

Haematology: Essential haematology by AV Hoffbrand, JE Pettit & PAH Moss - This is an interesting one. Many people found it very useful in the Haematology block. Apparently it has nice pictures and stuff. To be honest, I didn't use it, but it might be worth a look.

Immunology / Microbiology: Medical microbiology: A guide to microbial infections - Seriously, why is this even on the list? It's not necessary.

Medicine: Clinical medicine by P Kumar & M Clark - You don't need it, but if you can afford it, why not. It's not a bad textbook.

Obstetrics: Perinatal education programme (maternal health) - WASTE OF MONEY! I'll tell you which one you need to get for GEMP III in another post.

Pharmacology: Basic & clinical pharmacology - Again, no need. If anything, get Medical pharmacology at a glance. The lecture notes are really all you need. Also, Google is for free...

Psychiatry: Primary health care psychiatry: a practical guide for Southern Africa - I didn't even know this book was on the list. It's not needed, trust me!

In general, before buying a textbook use one from the library first. Do this in week one though, don't wait until two weeks before the exam, because then everyone will have taken it out. All textbooks were not created equal, and what might be an easy read for your friend, turns out to be useless for you.

I hope this was useful! Happy reading!

No comments: