Sunday 23 November 2014

What's this blog all about?

The Unofficial GEMP Guide. Sounds pretty official? Well, it really isn't. This blog-site is in no way affiliated with the University of the Witwatersrand. I'm Juan. A (now) final year medical student at Wits.

The reason for this blog-site? When I entered GEMP (Graduate Entry Medical Programme, but you probably already know what the acronym stands for, why else would you be on this site?) I was lost, overwhelmed and was questioning what "sleep" meant. I wished there was some sort of guide to this whole new world of Medicine. A map, if you will.

So here it is. The map that will, hopefully, make your life in GEMP a little easier. I'm writing it from my personal experiences, and it might differ from yours. I'll only be able to make comments on what I've seen, heard, smelled (Trauma) and tasted (Obstetrics). Only kidding about the tasting thing, but a jet of amniotic fluid did come very close to my pie-hole. I'll also put some tips where I can, to help the intrigued reader (that's hopefully you).

My posts will be aimed at students going into GEMP I (the great unknown), GEMP II (the lesser, but still mostly unknown) and GEMP III (the 'Hey! I'm actually doing doctory stuff!' year) and also GEMP IV, as I go through my blocks.

The post after this one will be about the different ways you can get into Medicine at Wits, and then the way I got in.

I hope you'll enjoy my posts! Please feel free to comment. If I can, I'll be more than happy to help out. And if I can't help, hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

PS. Please go on and like the Facebook page to keep up to speed with what's happening on the blog.
You can also follow me on Twitter @GEMPguide


No comments: